Today, we got hands on the Redmi Y1 and here is the rooting process of the phone.
It comes with a 720p screen and is a selfie-focused phone, unlike older phones this redmi Y1 and the same process applies to the Redmi Y1 Lite.
Before going into the routing process I would like to say a few words about this Smartphone it has nothing new apart from the front camera which is a hoping hoping 16 megapixel with LED flash so with this new phone yeah you me is following the Other camera focused mobile companies like Oppo and Vivo which we all know how was they are in performance if even after paying a handsome money you will get lower spec comparing to other smartphones for the same price. So in that case if you have a redmi note 4, redmi Note 3, I would advise not to go for the redmi Y1 series unless you are much into selfies.
If you bought a redmi Y1 series phone or the lower variant called redmi Y1 Lite, follow these steps to successfully root your redmi Y1/Lite using your computer.
I am dividing this guide into 4 section which is following.
- unlocking bootloader
- Installing custom recovery such as TWRP to root Redmi Y1
- Simple instructions to install supersu to manage root permissions, otherwise, you also can install the magisk module which is the new kind of initiative to do all kind of things without harming any system files.
- Flashing custom Android ROM such as lineage OS on Resurrection Remix.
Unlocking Redmi Y1 bootloader.
- There is a process which all of the xiaomi phones with locked bootloader have to follow in order to unlock bootloader. If you are interested to unlock your bootloader of redmi Y1 go to this website unlock.miui.com login with your MI account that you use on your phone as well and send simple pieces of information like your phone number and why you want to unlock your bootloader.
- Within few hours you will get SMS confirmation saying that your application for unlocking bootloader is approved.
- Now you can download the MI unlock tool from the MI UI website and open it on your computer. the app will ask you to login with your MI account credentials make sure to use the exact same MI account that is also added your phone. And click on proceed button to start the process and it will unlock your bootloader within seconds.
Rooting Redmi Y1 and Lite
Installing Twrp custom recovery.
- Now you need a custom recovery I would recommend TWRP recovery which is more powerful than this CWM recovery, go to this website and download TWRP recovery for redmi Y1.
- Download the ADB and fastboot tool and extract them on your computer desktop and copy the TWRP image file in the same folder for convenience, to speed up the process rename TWRP image file to just twrp.img as we’ll have to type the Twrp image file name in next steps.
- Open the fastboot folder, press shift +right click and select “open command prompt from here” and type the following commands.
- Before that boot your phone in fastboot mode by pressing power+vol down button (a robot will show) and connect phone to computer via USB cable.
If it shows numbers means your phone is connected just fine in fastboot mode.
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
fastboot boot twrp.img (temporarily)
It will flash the Twrp recovery which will replace the stock recovery.
Flashing superSu or Magisk
- Now you can boot into Twrp recovery pressing the Power +Volume up button.
- Go to wipe – then advanced wipe – clear system, data, and cache. You can also do format data option.
- Now connect phone to pc while Twrp menu is opened and copy the superSu or magisk module to your internal storage and from Twrp menu choose install – select the zip and flash it.
Redmi Y1 comes with Miui 9 beta so there are more likely you’ll be able to unlock its bootloader successfully. Share this post with your other redmi y1 friends and comment below.